Monday, July 1, 2019

Contemporary Arkansas Artist Beth Lenderman shares a painting with an amazing story!



"Adventure Awaits: Doorway to Narnia" - oil on canvas 22" x 28" - private collection, prints available
*******************
I'm so excited to share the story/journey of its creation.
If you have followed me even a little bit, you know I love doors. And if you know me pretty well, you also know I love words and use scripture a lot underneath my paintings.
But I had a different idea for words with this painting.
On a trip to England, I had the privilege of going to the University of Oxford and seeing University of St Mary the Virgin Church, which holds some inspiration for "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis - particularly the door for the wardrobe. I love that church door and his writings and wanted to create a painting of my interpretation of the two.
If you know about Narnia, then you know when Aslan is gone, Narnia is always winter. However, when Aslan returns, spring comes to Narnia. I wanted to incorporate this idea into my painting as well: the juxtaposition of the two. 
For the spring inspiration, I used a Jacaranda tree in full bloom from a visit to Maui. 
So I had these two opposing seasons of winter and spring in my mind with the idea of the wardrobe door. My love of doors and what they represent led me to the passage in "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" that says "They open a door and enter a world." Perfect fit for my painting.
And this is where it gets interesting.
I wanted to write that on my painting so it could be seen. But I wanted to get permission to do it. So I contacted the C. S. Lewis Company Ltd in Poole, UK and received written consent to use the quotation on 5 prints!!!
I am THRILLED to have this honor and privilege. 
If you are interested in owning one of these five prints which will be the size of the actual original at 22" x 28", please contact me. You will receive the print signed and numbered from me plus a copy of the official consent from the C. S. Lewis Company Ltd.
Thank you for reading the story of "Adventure Awaits: Doorway to Narnia."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...